Monday, June 8, 2015

Guilt Free Mama

Okay, so one thing I did not understand when becoming a mom was all the "mom guilt" that would come with it. From every decision to every move, I end up feeling guilty about most of them. I didn't make all their baby food - guilt. I gave them formula when I was over nursing - guilt. I tell them I'll play in "5 minutes" when I know I won't - guilt. I put them in front of a 30 minute show (gasp!) to do laundry - guilt. I yelled at them (they were being shits!) - guilt. I gave them cheetos with lunch - guilt. I mean what the heck is all of this guilt and where does it come from?! I am SO over the guilt!

It doesn't stop with everyday things either - I have so much guilt when I decide to put my health and fitness first (even if only for 30 minutes!). I try so hard to get my workout in before the kids get up, but it never fails that they wake up right before or right after I start. Which of course irritates me (insert guilt) and starts my day off on the wrong foot. So I have been trying to figure out how to better manage this guilt and realize that what I am doing for myself isn't something to feel bad about. It actually helps everyone!

When I get time to myself to get in a 30 min workout or a run and find time to actually eat something (preferably healthy!), I am a MUCH happier mama, wife, person. So is it worth putting the kids in front of a show or having them play on their own so that I can get my sh*t together??? I think we would all agree YES! Although it can be hard for me and all of us to remember, our kids honestly will survive and are able to play ON THEIR OWN for a little bit. We have to take care of ourselves too - they need a happy and healthy mom/dad :)

The other thing I find about this "mom guilt" is that it is an EASY excuse when we don't feel like focusing on health or fitness. I TOTALLY use this on days where "the boys" want a cheeseburger (who put that idea in their head?!) or decided to sleep in because it was a rough night with the kids. I find it can be convenient and acceptable when I don't want to hold myself accountable. Here is the thing - it is okay to have an off day, week, etc (see my Regroup post!), but you need to own your breaks. Don't use "mom guilt" as an excuse to neglect your own health and fitness.

We all feel the guilt (ALL DAY LONG!), but it is important to channel it as much as we can. We are all doing the best we can and to put focus on ourselves is actually the RIGHT thing. Try to remember that the next time you hear your kids screaming for you while you do a workout. They will survive and you will benefit from a few minutes all about you. You might want ear plugs though...;)

No comments:

Post a Comment