Thursday, May 28, 2015

Regroup

We had a WONDERFUL vacation in Hawaii a week and a half ago...and on that trip we even worked out (most days) and ate clean. Lets not get into the alcohol consumption (Mai Tai please?!). All in all though, I felt like we did a good job sticking to our new lifestyle while also enjoying our vacation. Then, we came home. Why landing back in Portland changed everything for me, I don't know, but it did. I lost all of my drive and motivation to work out and eat healthy. It was terrible.

I gave myself the excuse that we were just adjusting to being home, that we needed to take time getting back into our routine and then there was the minor issue of my husbands burned hands (see phytophotodermatitis) so he couldn't work out. However, after 3 full days of crap eating and nothing physical, I was feeling defeated. How did this happen??? Why did this happen??? When did I let myself slip back into the old habits and routine???

I am sure it was bound to happen and that it happens to all of us at some point. I was just so mad at myself and so down on myself it was making me spiral further. I finally realized that being mad, sad and overall pissed at myself for the past few days wasn't going to change anything. I needed to give myself a break, get back on the horse and look forward. A minor setback (and a few pounds) did not mean I was back to leading an unhealthy life. It just meant I needed to regroup and reset my mind. Lord knows I have to do this all the time with the housework, the kids, our crazy schedule, etc. Why would health be any different??? It isn't!

On that fourth day I started out much the same as the three before, only something shifted. I realized I needed to take control and make a change. Even if it was small. So I got out T25 and did a 25 minute workout. It felt good to sweat and it felt good to be moving. So, then I ate something healthy. Guess what, that also felt good! Shocker right ?! ;) So far, I am on day 3 of working out again and eating right. For some reason it is still a struggle every morning, but I am determined to get back to where I was pre-vacation and keep working toward my goals.

I have no doubt I will fall off again at some point, but at least I learned a lesson through this last setback. I am stronger than I think I am, I can do anything I put my mind to and I am doing the best I can. Some days that will be total awesomeness, some days that won't be. In the end though, I believe in myself and look forward to the success I will see.

I hope all of you remember this too - you are all doing the best you can and that is enough! And a cookie every now and then is just necessary. It just is.

No comments:

Post a Comment