Thursday, May 14, 2015

Gratitude!

So even with my health and fitness on the right track, I was having problems with "attitude" and finding the positive in things. In Beachbody they talk a lot about Personal Development as something you should do for yourself every day. I thought, "Right! With what time am I going to focus on PD?! I have 3 kids, a husband, a demanding schedule and I need a shower!" However, I really started noticing that my attitude was not adjusting like my body and frankly, that was frustrating me. I kept hearing and seeing all these people in my challenge groups talking about how "great they felt" and how "inspired they were" and yada yada yada. I was totally there on the body side - but my mind just wasn't there yet.

To be honest, I have felt overwhelmed and spread too thin for a LONG time. In just 5 1/2 years I have gotten married, had 3 kids, had 3 jobs and been a part of countless other ventures. That is a lot of stuff! Not to mention the endless housework, driving kids around, pre-school and errands that need to be run. Therefore, I got a little "grouchy" about life and had a hard time seeing the glass half full. I realized I was quickly out of patience, easily frustrated, yelling more than I should be, overall not the person I wanted to be. But I felt stuck. I decided I had to do something about it for myself, my family and everyone around me!

I figured I would give the PD thing a chance. What could it really hurt? Not to mention, it would be dedicated time to being and feeling positive. Alone (woo hoo!). I have started with the book "The Slight Edge" by Jeff Olson and am LOVING it. It is one that is talked about a lot in Beachbody and I was reluctant to read it at first. I am usually turned off by the "self help" books, but something told me I should give it a try. I am SO glad I did, because I found some of the best tips for focusing on positivity and gratitude. Chapter 8 has been my ABSOLUTE favorite! A quick overview - it is a chapter focused on how to get your attitude to match your drive, and when they do, you get success. I mean success in anything and everything (health, fitness, relationships, career, etc). I am going to share his "5 happy habits" that he shares here so you can all see what I have been doing to improve my overall outlook. I am only 2 days in, but I am hooked! And I have not yet yelled (more than once a day anyway) and have not been as short on patience. HUGE steps for me...hoping I can keep it up!

“Shawn Achor’s five happy habits:   1) Every morning write down three new things you’re grateful for. 2) Journal for two minutes a day about a positive experience from the past 24 hours. 3) Meditate daily for a few minutes. 4) At the start of every day, write an email to someone praising or thanking them. 5) Get fifteen minutes of simple cardio exercise a day.” 
― Jeff OlsonThe Slight Edge: Turning Simple Disciplines into Massive Success and Happiness

If you are looking for an attitude adjustment as I was, I really recommend starting here. These are easy to put into practice and can get you quick results (the 3 things you are grateful for is my favorite and I found a great app on my phone to use. It is "Gratitude365" and I am loving it.) This whole book has been eye opening, but these 5 steps have been my favorite take away so far. I'm about half way through the book and looking for another one to start on my trip to Hawaii (we leave in 2 days!). If you have suggestions please send them my way! I'm interested in PD please :)

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment